What are the advantages of plaque mounting?
What CAN be plaque mounted?
- It's a low cost alternative to framing
- It's a clean, contemporary look
- Because no mats are needed, large pieces do not have to get any larger
- The laminate surface is easy to wipe clean
- Plaque mounting can be framed without glass if you want to change the look of your piece in the future
- No glass to break
- Posters, prints and photos
- Artwork including drawings, charcoals, pastels, watercolors, oils, acrylics, collage, pen & ink, colored pencil, crayon, tempera and more
- Awards, certificates, diplomas and the like
- Newspaper articles and pictures as well as images and articles from magazines, books, comic books, etc.
- Sports memorabilia
- Children's artwork
- Sale flyers and store promotions, price lists and signage
- Menus and specials
- Letters, invitations, poetry, sayings
- and much more
What SHOULDN'T be plaque mounted?
Plaque mounting is done with heat and pressure. Although the greatest care is taken with all items being mounted there is always a chance that damage can occur.
- Irreplaceable and items of great value should be framed rather than plaqued.
- There are some digital printing processes that do not react well to heat. It is important to let us know how your item was printed.
- Pieces on paper that have been wrinkled, creased or torn sometimes will flatten out and plak beautifully, but will also sometimes wrinkle or crease
- Items that have been made with layers of paper that have been glued or pasted together (especially children's artwork) will often "show" the layers or glue lines after plaque mounting.
- Tickets to sports or theatre events may be printed on thermal sensitive card stock to avoid copying - these will turn black from the heat if plaque mounted -we recommend that you allow us to reproduce the tickets photographically so as not to damage the originals
- Items like college diplomas that can not be replaced should be reproduced before plaque mounting and the original kept in a safe place
We will be happy to discuss any item you may be concerned about and offer our advice on the safest ways to proceed!